1.10.2008

A Realization

I just finished listening to this week's podcast from David Reidy, aka Sticks and Sting. It sparked a couple thoughts...

The theme for Show 50 is "We choose"- he referenced JFK's speech about choosing to go to the moon NOT because it is easy but because it is hard. David challenged his readers to return to the challenge of knitting, because accomplishing something difficult is really, really satisfying.

Last Christmas (2006-2007) I got my BUTT kicked by the Frost Flowers and Leaves shawl from "A Gathering of Lace" by Meg Swanson. (Eunny's version is gorgeous, and here's a link to the book photo). I also Eunny's Bayerische socks and got smacked around by them as well. (Maybe the lesson I SHOULD learn is to stay away from Eunny's spectacular but very challenging projects?!?!?!)

I realized, listening to David's podcast, that every project I knit in 2007 was a reaction to that spectacular failure- I knit safe, relatively easy things. No cables, not much lace, just stockinette and simple socks are far as the eye can see.

Maybe it's time to take another stab at the Frost Flowers. I love that thing, and succeeding would feel fantastic. Hmmm....

1 comment:

meg_knits said...

You know, I think I have been doing the same thing. For me, it was Ariann's sleeves that put a halt on my more challenging projects. After knitting 3 sleeves, and being unhappy with all of them, I went back to my happy socks and hats.

Time to step up to the plate!