10.20.2004

Yarnapalooza

Ok, I am CUT OFF from buying more yarn AND pattern books.



So... that first picture is of my latest impulse buy... Crystal Palace Squiggle in color 9291 combined with Lane Borgosesia Oceano in Color 807. The go frighteningly well together. I'm knitting them on size 15s, which makes for a fairly open and lacy fabric. Those ladies at Village Wools are cunning- I intended to get just the Squiggle, but my $18 scarf quickly became a $38 scarf... By the way, The Oceano seems to have variegated colors that match all the Squiggle yarns. Conspiracy? I think so.

Next up is the Colinette Point 5 in Lapis combined with some Rowan KidSilk Haze on size 17s to make Knitty's Loopy and Luscious scarf (it's in the archives on Knitty and somewhere on my site- I'm too lazy to look up the link right now.)

I love the way both of these are turning out. YAY!

I ALSO got 2 knitting books in the mail today, courtesy of Amazon.com. I got Joelle Hoverson's "Last Minute Knitted Gifts" and Emma King's "25 Bags to Knit".

The Last Minute Knitted Gifts book is WONDERFUL. I've ID'd probably 10 things I want to make from this book, including adorable angora baby booties (I have to prego friends- one boy and one girl arriving in January), mini sweaters for ornaments, the pashmina cowl, a cabled purse, ADORABLE knitted toys (bear, bunny, and elephant- so darn cute!) and a gorgeously shaped but otherwise plain stockinette stitch sweater for ME.

The Knitted Bags book is OK. There are 2 I think I'll make. It seems like half the patterns are for the EXACT same bag done in differnt colors. BORING! I may return this one, actually. Very basic stuff, nothing stunning, and it feels like half the 25 patterns are the same with only basic color differences. Ah well. You win some, you lose some. And I have definitely scored some winners in the last few weeks.

Anyway, knit night was GREAT last night. We had a big turnout of largely young blonde women. My 25 year old brother was at the coffee shop where the knitting group met and seemed shocked that such young and attractive gals were knitting in public. Ha! I'm not as square as he thinks I am! Ok, I am. But whatever. :-)

Ok, I still have a ton of reading to do, so I'm going to logoff and get back to work.

No comments: