9.16.2005

Yarnventory .

Well, I did it. I inventoried my yarn. And just as I had suspected, I had forgotten about some pretty freaking cool stuff.

So what did I learn?

I have 43 projects' worth of yarn, unless I combine some things in multi-color projects, which is highly likely.

I have rougly 22,485 yards worth of yarn. I had to estimate on a LOT of that (2 mystery cones of lacewieght and LOTS of random balls of yarn without labels/yardage), but I think it's probably accurate. I know for sure that I have 11,754 yards worth of yarn that is labelled. Yikes- half my yarn is completely label free. What a disaster.

Most of my yarns are: off white, white, red, blue, or black, with some other colors mixed in. I heart bright handpainted sock yarns. I have mostly worsted, DK, sock, and lace weight yarns. Not much fuzzy stuff- I have a mohair deficiency.

I have enough yarn to make:
  • 2 sweaters
  • 4 lace shawls
  • 10 pairs of socks
  • 7 or 8 Scarves
  • 3 hats
  • 3 or 4 pairs of baby booties
  • 2 Baby blankets
  • 2 or 2 baby sweaters.

This does not include yarn for works in progress- add another 2000ish yards for that...


Yikes!

I did this little exercise so I can make intelligent yarn purchases in the future. I am banned from buying off-white or white yarn for a good long time.

I do want to get some:
  • Fuzzy yarn- mohair. Kidsilk Haze, anyone?
  • Yummy deep orange yarn- scarf would be good.
  • Deep, dark chocolate brown yarn for a sweater. Just what I need- another big project!
  • Warmer colors in general- I have lots of cool brights and pastels. Need to branch out.


UPDATE: Oh crap, I forgot about a whole bunch of yarn:
  • There's a garbage bag full of misc. bulky weight wool in the garage. Mom has been raiding it for her felted bags. It's nothing I'll ever use, so it doesn't count... right? Even though it's technically mine? Dang. I thought so.
  • There's another garbage bag full of half balls of unlabelled yarn in the garage. Looks to be mostly worsted weight. My friend Katie's grandmother is a knitter and apparently unloaded all of her oddballs onto Katie, who knits one thing a year, and Katie unloaded it onto me. Lucky me. I think this might make a pretty cool Psychadelic Squares Afghan.
  • There's some yarn in my cedar chest which is currently in storage. It's the yarn that didn't make the "take it to the house" cut when I moved in February. I have NO IDEA what's in the chest.... Hmmmm. Nope, no idea.


Now THAT's all the yarn, I PROMISE. I even cleaned out my closet to make sure.

No comments: