5.10.2004

More thoughts on Charlotte.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is that is so addictive about this shawl. Here are some random thoughts...
1. The lace pattern is relatively straight forward. There are 4 rows that repeat. This makes it really easy to get into the zone and just crank on whatever row I'm on. My personal favorite is row 2- knit, slip knit PSSO, slip knit 2 psso, k2tog with yarnovers sprinkled in. It just progresses so NICELY.

2. Each lace row has 8 stitches per repeat. You always have those 8 stitches on the needles, which makes it relatively easy to identify when and where you made a mistake.

3. I LOVE that every wrong side row is straight purl- makes it really easy to count stitches and ID problems that may have happened on the right side. Also gives me a chance to rest a little between lace rows. I don't count all the way across the row- my poor little brain starts getting confused above 20. But by putting stitch markers between each lace repeat, I can identify exactly where I made a mistake if one section has more or less than 8 stitches. Way easier to pin point a problem this way than saying, "OK, I have 127 stitches in this row and SOMEWHERE there is a mistake...."

4. The lace pattern is so symmetrical between sides. I love that you simply reverse the order of the stitches once you pass the center- I'm a dork and I really like symmetry.

5. The colors. Oh, how I could raphsodize about the colors in Koigu! I picked out my skeins thinking I had a pretty good idea of what each would look like as I knit, and each new ball is such a suprise. A ball I thought was predominantly green with rainbow colors is actually vibrant turquoise, pink, and sagey green. Amazing. I could knit with this stuff forever.

So. Those are my thoughts on Charlotte for now.

I knit a lot Saturday night at a soccer game. I didn't think I'd be able to focus enough, but I did, and I enjoyed it. I also knit a ton yesterday- an hour and a half in the car each way to spend Mother's Day with BF's family.

My Mom called and loved the flower washcloth, by the way. But she thought it was a pot holder at first! LOL.

No comments: